Skip to content

A Console that Needed a Consult.

November 8, 2011

This weekend I was shopping  the motherland, aka Homegoods, and I stumbled upon a table that was very similar to one that exists in my foyer.  It was painted a beautiful grey and I fell in love.  Obviously I did not need a new table so I didn’t buy it.  Instead, I ventured next door to Lowes.  I thumbed through the paint swatches, picked out a beautiful grey and had it mixed.  My plan:  paint my existing console table in the foyer a similar grey to the one I found at Homegoods.

This is the console table as I bought it.

After a quick spray paint prime I immediate set out to paint my piece.  It took about 3 coats of paint to cover over the existing black, but it turned out beautifully!  I was extremely happy with the results and couldn’t wait for it to dry and set to move it back upstairs.

Sunday morning after I knew everything was dry I made the move with my piece (and of course made 2 scratches in the hallway).   Unfortunately, I decided the shade of grey I picked out didn’t really pop great against white brick…major boo!  I went to my paint shelves (yes I said shelves, not shelf…I am a paint addict after all) and choose a slightly darker grey paint that I already owned.  I tested this paint out on one drawer to see if I would like it better.  The result…another BOO!  So after talking it through with my design consultant (my mother!)  we decided that this table was definitely meant to be black against that bright white brick wall.  I was a little (understatement of the year) ticked at myself.  I can’t believed I didn’t call my mother before I began the project to get her input.  I spent the next few hours re-painting 3 coats of black on top of the grey that was on top of the original black.  So needless to say this before and after project went back to the before.  I promised I would share the good and the bad of our home renovations, and this definitely goes in the  ‘bad’ category.

Because I have about six coats of paint on the console table I haven’t put it back together yet.  It really needs to sit for a few days in order to properly cure.

Sometimes things are better left as is….

Advertisements

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: